Want to visit Canada? Think again if you have a DUI conviction.

Not too long ago visiting Canada was easy as flashing your driver’s license and waving at the border guard.  After 9/11, things changed dramatically.  A DUI is an extremely serious offense.  According to the Canadian Immigration Act, any offense that is indictable in Canada, which includes DUI convictions, makes you a member of the inadmissible class.  As a member if this class you are ineligible to visit, stay or travel through Canada.  After many years, approximately ten years, you may apply with the Canadian Minister’s Approval of Rehabilitation to be removed from this class.  All hope of travel to Canada is not lost, if you are a member of the inadmissible class.  You can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit.  However these are difficult to obtain.  There are two ways to to apply for this permit.  First, you can apply for one at the border, this is less paperwork, but you stand a greater chance of getting denied.  Secondly, you can apply in advance with a Canadian Consulate.  When applying for any permit, I strongly encourage you to consult with an immigration attorney.  If you have a pending DUI case and want to travel to Canada, it is helpful to have a letter from your attorney outlining the case.  Written by  Richard N. Blevins, Jr.,  191 Roswell Street, Marietta, GA 30060    678-354-2290  For more information, please visit our firm website or our Criminal Defense website.

Written by Allen Trapp who is board certified by the National College for DUI Defense and the author of Georgia DUI Survival Guide Visit Website

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

One Response to “Want to visit Canada? Think again if you have a DUI conviction.”

  1. escorts nyc Says:

    escorts nyc…

    Georgia DUI Blog » Blog Archive » Want to visit Canada? Think again if you have a DUI conviction….

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.